YMCA of the Triangle will lead Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA for 1 year

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA and the YMCA of the Triangle have reached a one-year management agreement that will bring the two organizations closer together.

On Thursday, the boards of the two YMCAs reached an agreement that will allow the Triangle Y to assume leadership in staff development, fiscal oversight and fundraising for both YMCAs.

“There are reasons for us to think and plan together and independently,” said Doug McMillan, executive director of the Triangle Y.

The agreement will go into effect in January 2013, though the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Y will keep its 501©3 status.

Under the new agreement, each YMCA will maintain its current policies and programs, but the two Ys will be more collaborative.

The two organizations previously discussed a merger, but the idea was dismissed in April after a year and a half of negotiations.

During those discussions, some community members were unhappy with the Triangle Y’s non-discrimination policy, which does not provide protection for members of the LGBTQ community who want to volunteer or work.

Mia Burroughs, chairwoman of the Chapel Hill- Carrboro City Schools Board of Education and a member of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Y, previously opposed the merger because of the policy.

“My priority is that employees at the Chapel Hill- Carrboro YMCA continue to have protection around sexual orientations,” she said.

She said the management agreement will work in the short run, but it will take time to see if it will work in the long term.

Carrboro Alderman Lydia Lavelle said she hopes the agreement will influence the Triangle Y’s non-discrimination policy.

“The only change I’d like to see is that the Triangle Y realizes they have many gay members and prospective employees that would feel more included in the Y community,” she said.

McMillan said once the agreement is in effect, the two Ys will focus on improving services. He said their objectives include long-term plans such as expanding services throughout Chatham and Orange counties.

He said that the two YMCAs share the same mission, and their primary goal is to strengthen the YMCA services for the entire community.

“We’re going to work hard to help the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA achieve their objectives,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.