Armed forces past and future gather for commemorative ceremony

Fred Black, a retired U.S. Army colonel and Chapel Hill resident, made it a point to visit Hill Hall on Monday.

Black was one of about 70 veterans who attended a commemorative ceremony on campus for Veterans Day.

Although Veterans Day was Sunday, Chapel Hill and UNC celebrated the event Monday.

The keynote speaker at the event, retired U.S. Navy Cmdr. Marv McWherter, prepared members of UNC’s ROTC units for a rigorous career in the armed forces.

“Get ready to work,” McWherter, a Mebane resident, joked.

Members of the on-campus Naval, Army and Air Force ROTC units gathered alongside veterans to honor their military service.

During the ceremony, veterans were asked to stand in recognition of the conflict in which they served. They were greeted with a long applause.

A regular at events like these, Black said the community appreciation for veterans has become more common recently.

“Including ROTC, I was in the Army for 30 years,” Black said. “And now more than ever, I see more recognition and support in the area for us veterans.”

Lt. Col. Brad Green said the cadets of the University’s ROTC departments have planned and coordinated the ceremony for the past 15 years.

“The event itself provides a tremendous opportunity for them as future military officers to meet the veterans who attend, several of whom are UNC-CH alumni,” Green said in an email.

Green said he hoped the ceremony would better commemorate local veterans.

“We hope to symbolize and celebrate the past military service of those in our community,” he said.

And Black said these efforts were noticed.

“It’s always great to see the community, faculty and different members of the military get together at these events,” he said. “We are very thankful for it.”

In the conclusion of his keynote address, McWherter advised the ROTC members to take their responsibilities seriously.

“The responsibility and authority that the military gives you far exceeds that of civilian counterparts,” he said.

McWherter also said the cadets should welcome the friendship that comes from time in the armed forces.

“You will form friendships and bonds that will continue for the rest of your life.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.