Briana Hudson for Alzheimer's support program

After a personal connection to Alzheimer’s disease, Briana Hudson wants to help those affected by the disease.

In collaboration with an assisted living home called the Carolina House of Chapel Hill, Hudson plans to work with Alzheimer’s and dementia patients in a project called “A Treat for Terri.”

The project is named after Hudson’s family member.

She wants to plan twice-a-month visits to the patients and host activities that will not only stimulate them, but that will also engage their minds.

During the visits, Hudson said she would lead various activities, ranging from trivia games to light cardio exercises outside.

“I’ve always wanted to give back to the community. A lot of people have sacrificed things for me,” Hudson said.

Hudson has experience volunteering through the varsity track and field team, which she has been on since her freshman year.

She and her teammates regularly take trips to N.C. Children’s Hospital and give speeches at local schools, she said.

Hudson said volunteering is important to her.

“It’s something that makes me happy,” she said.

Hudson said she would use the $500 for games, prizes and food for the visits to the Carolina House.

“She is very involved in community service,” said Steve Rubin, an assistant track and field coach.

Deborah Southall, an exercise and sport science professor, has known Hudson for several years.

“She is compassionate and understanding,” Southall said.

“She makes an outstanding representative of the type of student we associate with this university.”

Hudson has various leadership positions, including serving as a peer mentor through the Carolina Leadership Academy which helps first-year athletes make the transition into college.

“She excels academically, socially and on the field. She embodies a well-rounded student,” Southall said.

Senior Ariel Roberts, a close friend, said Hudson is very dedicated when she sets her mind to something.

“Apart from being a full student and a full athlete, she beats every obstacle that comes her way,” she said.

“Briana would be a great Miss UNC because she does a lot for the UNC community,” she added.

Regardless of who wins Miss UNC, Hudson said she wants to go through with the service project.

“I am passionate about helping out because it is a cause close to me,” Hudson said.

“Seeing them smile will make me smile.”

Contact the desk editor at
university@dailytarheel.com.