Diversity of opinion prevails in the first public forum about the new chancellor

The job description for University chancellor is intimidating.

The position, held by Holden Thorp until June, is charged with overseeing a liberal arts college, a hospital, a legendary athletic department and a vast network of sensitive data, among many other things.

It’s a tall order for the next chancellor — whoever that might be.

“We almost ask for a superhero individual,” said Joseph Jordan, director of the Sonja Haynes Stone Center.

Members of the public told the chancellor search committee Wednesday what qualities are important to them.

Wade Hargrove, chairman of the committee, said public forums are an important step in the process.

“We don’t take it lightly, and we want to make sure we make good decisions,” he said.

“This is a very complex enterprise. We want to make sure we get the very best advice we can as we go along in the process.”

UNC-system President Thomas Ross has charged the group with submitting three candidates to replace Thorp, who announced in September that he will resign in June.

The two remaining forums, for faculty and students, will be held today.

Those in attendance Wednesday listed a multitude of qualities.

John Hinshaw, a graduate of the Kenan-Flagler Business School, said the new chancellor should have administrative experience, an academic background and political acumen.

“Sometimes you need to look outside,” Hinshaw said. “Someone who is going to come in with a perspective that is clean.”

“What concerns me is the reputation of this University externally, with everything that has been going on in the past few years.”

Hargrove emphasized that the search committee was constructed to include members of diverse perspectives.

But Debra Edge, a faculty administrative services supervisor in the School of Law, said she’s concerned that only five women sit on the committee.

“That makes me wonder — are women going to be given a fair shot for being considered for the chancellorship?,” she said.

Edge added that she’s frustrated by the discussion that academics should be prioritized over athletics in an effort to prevent another academic scandal, and said that athletics has played an important role in UNC’s history.

“We have been through the ringer, we have been through the mud. I want to see a chancellor stand up and say, ‘Enough is enough’.”

Jeff Hill, director of external relations at the Morehead Planetarium, said he hopes members will consider the example the University sets for UNC-system schools.

“There are leaders in the academic community who come from different types of backgrounds who may not understand the importance of a flagship university,” Hill said.

“When they set foot in South Building, they need to realize that they’re inheriting a 200-plus year legacy,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.