‘Goodnight Carolina’ gives a tour of Chapel Hill

Elaine O'Neil, left, Marie Myers Lloyd and Missy Julian Fox sign copies of their book, Goodnight Carolina, at Peacock Alley Saturday morning. Marie and Missy wrote the book together while Elaine created the textile illustrations.

Diehard Tar Heels have a new way of expressing their UNC pride.

At Peacock Alley Gifts on Saturday, coauthors Missy Julian Fox and Marie Myers Lloyd held a book signing for “Goodnight Carolina” — their reimagining of the classic children’s book.

A humble nod to Margaret Wise Brown’s “Goodnight Moon,” the Chapel Hill-inspired version takes readers on an adventure that explores the landmarks of the town.

Fox and Lloyd are both graduates of UNC who now live in Chapel Hill. Fox’s family also owns the clothing boutique Julian’s on Franklin Street.

The book takes readers on an adventure across campus and town, past the Old Well and Bell Tower, and into the heart of Franklin Street, by the Varsity Theater and Sutton’s Drug Store.

The authors asked textile collage artist Elaine O’Neil to do the illustrations for the book, which are all photographs of textile designs created by O’Neil.

“It seemed like a dream opportunity to do this book; it was an amazing collaboration,” O’Neil said. “‘Meant to be’ kind of thing.”

The town is literally embedded into the book — actual pieces of menswear clothing were used in the illustration of Julian’s.

Fox said the whimsical illustrations in the book have such intricate textures and layers that readers continue to find new things to look at and be engaged in.

For UNC alumna Beth Barnes, who graduated in 1969, the book is a stroll down memory lane from her time at Chapel Hill, where both she and her husband went to school.

“I just think it’s very nostalgic for me, very, very cleverly written,” Barnes said.

Although Barnes said she enjoys reading the book herself, she originally purchased it for her two grandsons.

Despite being centered around Chapel Hill, Fox said the book is meant to inspire people to discuss their special place — whether it be miles or worlds away.

“Great children’s books help people talk with each other,” she said. “Here we feel we’re sharing a collective heart.”

Betsy Hayes, owner of Peacock Alley Gifts, said the book has been very popular since its June 30 launch.

The authors will offer a book signing today at 3:30 p.m. at the Chapel Hill Public Library and Dec. 1 at Kidzu Children’s Museum in University Square.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.