The blatant barriers that once existed to prevent people of color from completing their democratic duty as citizens are all but defunct.

The days of grandfather clauses, literacy tests and poll taxes are shadowy specters of this state’s shameful racially oppressive past. These practices made the political influence of people of color nonexistent by excluding them from the political process.

Fortunately, those aforementioned practices saw an end a lifetime ago. The tireless work of not only activists, but also those who were committed to securing the right to vote for themselves and future generations should be honored.

Honor them with your participation in the democratic process. If you didn’t take advantage of the early voting period, vote on Nov. 6.

The work of ensuring that this county, state and nation remain places that are fair to people of color is not done. Your enthusiasm and participation is still needed to protect, maintain and build upon the great strides we have made in attaining equal rights for all.

There are several incidents you must remember this election season.

North Carolina almost passed a voter ID law. The voter ID law would have disenfranchised almost half a million eligible voters in North Carolina and disproportionately affected people of color, the elderly and the poor.

Gov. Bev Perdue struck down that law, which would have put restrictions on the electorate and potentially limited voter turnout, especially among racial minorities.

Acts of intimidation and racial insensitivity that attempt to discourage and frighten voters still happen in this state.

In September, a Goldsboro man drove an open-air wagon around town with life-size versions of politicians, including President Barack Obama, hung by nooses.

Recently, an African-American couple in Vallejo, Calif., found their mail-in ballots in a gutter. The couple refused to let the incident hinder their voting; they decided to deliver their ballots to their local election office.

The issues that affect people of color are still important. People of color have special interests in a variety of issues including immigration, health care reform, economic recovery and foreign defense.

Refusing to vote is never the answer. A vote not cast is a voice not heard, a grievance left unaddressed and a stance left untaken.

Not participating in the democratic process is a gross rejection of what makes the United States special. It’s a slap in the face to all that have fought and continue to fight for the right to vote.

Casting a ballot in a local, state or national election is easier than it has ever been — so take advantage of it and vote on Nov. 6.