RALEIGH — North Carolina Republican Party officials and congressional candidates celebrated significant victories Tuesday night that will affect the balance of power in Washington, D.C.

The rightward shift in the N.C. congressional delegation aided Republicans in retaining their overall control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Republicans picked up at least three seats previously held by Democrats in 2010, taking the eighth, 11th, and 13th districts, with the seventh district still too close to call at 12:15 a.m. today, according to unofficial results.

The new N.C. delegation will have at least nine Republicans, a stark contrast from the delegation composed of seven Democrats and six Republicans that was sent to Washington in 2010.

Wayne King, vice-chairman of the N.C. Republican Party, said the victory was proof that job creation was a principal concern for N.C. voters.

“We’ve sent businesspeople to Washington,” he said.

But Democrats and other political observers said the Republican surge in U.S. House seats comes on the heels of what they see as gerrymandered districts produced by the Republican-led N.C. General Assembly in 2011.

U.S. Reps. Heath Shuler and Brad Miller, former Democratic incumbents for districts 11 and 13, respectively, both retired after the map’s release.

“The Republican legislature drew three very garbled, very Democratic districts, and then drew 10 districts that lean strongly Republican,” Miller said.

Though Miller decided not to run again because of the redistricting, U.S. Reps. Mike McIntyre and Larry Kissell, both Democratic incumbents, ran within the new lines.

Kissell lost in district eight, and McIntyre ran against Republican challenger David Rouzer in the closest race of the night, District 7 — which was still too close to call.

The Republican congressional gains directly affect students across the state, said U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C.

“The presently constituted (U.S.) House under Republican control is very hostile to student aid reform and is very hostile to research funding and lots of things that affect the university community directly,” Price said.

But whether any substantial federal changes will be made on education issues is still up for debate.

While the Republicans have gained U.S. House seats, gridlock still poses a threat in Congress.

The re-election of President Barack Obama and the Democrats’ continued control of the Senate has the potential to negate Republicans’ control of the House and ability to stall federal legislation, said N.C. State University political science professor Steven Greene.

“It’s going to be very hard for President Obama to accomplish what he wants with a Republican House,” he said. “We are unlikely to get the reasonably bold action that we need right now.”

Charles Malone, Democratic nominee for the U.S. House seat in N.C.’s District 13, said that, despite losing the election, he hoped there would be meaningful steps forward in the 113th Congress.

“Somehow the sense of what government needs from Congress has to change from political gamesmanship to legislative accomplishment,” he said.

Staff Writer John Howell Jr. contributed reporting.

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.