UNC to offer more online classes in 2013

Students looking for broader course offerings won’t have to look further than their computer screens, starting next fall.

On Thursday, the University announced its participation in Semester Online, a consortium program of 10 universities that will allow undergraduate students to take online courses for academic credit.

UNC is the only public university that will participate in the program when it launches.

Other universities in the consortium include Duke University, Northwestern University, the University of Notre Dame and Vanderbilt University.

The universities will partner with the educational platform 2U Inc. to provide the courses. 2U already partners with the Kenan-Flagler Business School and the UNC School of Government in their respective online master’s degree programs.

2U was only interested in having the nation’s top-tier universities and liberal arts colleges participate, said Susan Cates, executive director of the online master’s of business administration program, MBA@UNC.

She said the business school will develop some of the first courses for UNC given its prior experience with 2U.

Information on the application process and the course offerings will be available in early 2013.

The virtual classroom setting will require students to actively participate in discussion through face-to-face video chats.

Cates said logistics have yet to be finalized, and the cost of the program has not yet been determined.

“We want to think about how to leverage each university’s strengths and offer an array of some of the best courses from some of the best universities in the country,” Cates said.

Lynne O’Brien, director of academic technology and instructional services for Duke University, said each university has courses that are tied to their curricula.

“It’ll be a chance to see different teaching styles,” O’Brien said.

Bob Rowley, director of media relations at Northwestern University, said in an email that Semester Online will allow students to continue their studies while abroad or doing research elsewhere for a semester.

Cates said that, in addition to accommodating students who are off campus, Semester Online will also make scheduling easier for any student on campus.

“Offering online classes, period, offers students more flexibility as undergraduates,” Cates said.

“No one wants to replace the experience at Carolina by offering a fully online degree, but having more flexibility in course schedule no matter where in the world they are is extremely valuable.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.