Cause of fire at University Gardens remains unknown

The was a fire at the University Gardens apartment complex on the Pritchard Ave. Extension around 10 am on January 28, 2013.

As the investigation into the fire that destroyed several condominiums in University Gardens on Monday continues, officials are still unsure of the cause.

Flames erupted from the apartment complex’s Building A, located at 800 Pritchard Ave. Ext., forcing residents to evacuate. No one was injured.

Though the worst of the damage was confined to six condominiums, units 13-18, all of the residents in the building have to move out.

Eric Plow, owner of University Gardens, said each affected resident is either renting an apartment in another building at the complex, has found a different place to live or is staying in a motel.

Several residents who were moving their belongings out of their units on Wednesday refused to comment.

“We have already begun the repair process, which will take several months,” Plow said.

Earlier this month, the Chapel Hill Fire Department conducted an inspection of the complex and found there were not enough fire extinguishers in the building for it to pass inspection.

Six fire extinguishers were needed in Building A’s foyers for the building to be up to code, a report stated.

Inspector John Parker recommended 32 extinguishers be installed in the entire complex, one in each shared foyer of every building.

But by the time of the fire, Plow had not been notified of any violations in his building.

“The inspection had been done and we were in the process of getting the contact information for the representative of the Homeowners Association to make him aware of the violations,” Interim Fire Marshal Dace Bergen said.

He said determining who is responsible for making the building comply with fire codes with rental properties can be difficult.

Each fire extinguisher violation carries a $50 fine if the violation is not corrected when the fire department makes its return visit.

But Bergen said even if the extinguishers had already been installed, it wouldn’t have made a difference in Monday’s fire.

“There was a working extinguisher in the apartment where the fire originated,” Plow said in an e-mail.

“Unfortunately the tenant was not home when the fire started, and by the time the neighbor heard and saw the flames, the fire was out of control.”

The initial 911 call came from a woman who reported flames pouring out of a window.

“She was already out of the building and we would not have recommended that she go inside, try to locate an extinguisher and attempt to fight the fire,” Bergen said.

Lisa Edwards, spokeswoman for the fire department, said the department is still investigating the cause of the fire.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.