Kenan-Flagler launches summer immersion program

Students from both UNC and across the globe will have the opportunity to study at Kenan-Flagler Business School via a new program launching this summer.

The five-week Summer Business Immersion Program has space for about 40 undergraduate students, who will take two upper-level business courses for credit. Applications will be accepted until Feb. 15.

The program aims to develop young leaders and give them a taste of a Kenan-Flagler education, said Julia Kruse, executive director of the UNC Center for International Business Education and Research.

“We’re looking for dynamic, high-achieving students who are driven,” Kruse said.

“Students from any discipline who are interested in learning about business leadership and entrepreneurship are what we’re looking for.”

The program, administered by the UNC Summer School and the Kenan-Flagler Business School, is not restricted solely to business students.

Dave Roberts, a professor at the business school, said he does not have a specific expectation of an ideal candidate for the program.

“My personal view is that the program will be very helpful to people that may be pursuing other disciplines for their undergraduate degree,” said Roberts, who is also a professor for the program.

Kevin Bowles, a professor at the school, serves as another professor for the program.

He said the program seeks candidates with certain qualities, rather than someone with a business background.

“The qualities are someone who is passionate and has a certain desire to learn and can take calculated risks — a willingness to step out on the ledge with their ideas and to take an idea from a concept to potentially a business,” he said.

Students will also participate in numerous extracurricular activities hosted by the program.

Activities include a series of guest speakers, networking events with Kenan-Flagler faculty and local business leaders, and a weekend visit to Washington, D.C.

Two undergraduate business students will serve as peer leaders and organize social events for the participants, Kruse said.

She said students can expect to gain a multitude of skills from the program, such as theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience, as well as the opportunity to study at one of the top business schools in the country.

“Along with that, I think they will make lifelong friends and establish a worldwide future professional network from their own peers and people they will meet,” she said.

“We believe that entrepreneurs can come out of any discipline.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.