Affordable furniture options are available from many mediums

The PTA Thrift Shop sells furniture.
The PTA Thrift Shop sells furniture.

When sophomore Ailsa Pearl Bennett moved off campus at the start of the semester, she wasn’t satisfied with the furniture she found on Craigslist.

After checking multiple thrift stores, Bennett said she still couldn’t find anything she liked.

Many students struggle to find affordable furniture for their apartments, but there are solutions all around town.

*The Habitat for Humanity ReStore*

Bennett found her solution at the ReStore. The ReStore sells new and used furniture and appliances. The proceeds help fund building projects for Habitat for Humanity.

“They had a really good selection of couches, tables and other furniture,” Bennett said.

*UNC Surplus Property Retail Store*

When UNC departments and residence halls no longer want furniture or other equipment, including office supplies and electronics, they send the pieces to UNC Surplus.

“Students should come by to see what the retail store has to offer,” said Josh Kastrinsky, a communications specialist for the finance division.

“The inventory changes daily, so it’s always good to check back if you can’t find what you’re looking for on a given day.”

Kastrinsky said chairs are almost always in stock, and desks, tables and filing cabinets are usually available.

Dressers often end up at the store after residence halls are renovated and typically cost between $10 and $15, he said. Bed frames are also sold.

Price is determined based on the condition and size of the piece of furniture.

Kastrinsky said the store only accepts cash, and customers are responsible for transporting purchases.

*PTA Thrift Shop*

The PTA Thrift Shop is a nonprofit retail business that gives earnings to the Parent Teacher Associations in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

“It’s most popular as students are leaving school and as they’re coming back into town,” said Barbara Jessie-Black, executive director of the store.

She said the shop’s selection depends on donations, but it often includes bedroom and living room furniture.

The store offers a delivery service for large items and has a 24-hour holding policy for purchased items, she said.

*Freecycle*

The Freecycle Network is a nonprofit organization where people both give away and claim items for free in effort to keep goods out of landfills.

Membership is free, and the organization has more than 9 million members worldwide.

Users post online the goods they are willing to give away, and people can browse these posts and claim the items. Users can also make requests for specific items.

McKenzie Burris, a moderator of Freecycle for Orange County, said the site has some student traffic, but estimated it to be less than 10 percent.

“I think Freecycle is a fantastic option for students who are willing to be open and flexible,” Burris said in an email. Burris said futons and couches are common furniture offerings.

“It’s also a good place to just browse the daily offer posts,” Burris said. “Mini-fridges, bikes, exercise equipment and televisions are common items offered.”

To pick up an item, the arrangements are made directly between the person giving away the item and the person taking it.

“Not everything may be in perfect condition, nor a specific style you’re looking to cultivate,” Burris said.

“It kind of forces you to be creative and work with what you have, especially when you have a minuscule budget.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.