Students who want to live on campus with someone of a different gender will finally get the chance this fall.

After a schoolwide campaign, the Board of Trustees approved what’s called gender non-specific housing last year.

The pilot program will start this fall with thirty-two students.

Roommates will still have to be of the same gender, but the pairs of roommates in the suites can be of different genders.

The program will be run in two suites in Craige North Residence Hall, one suite in Carmichael Residence Hall and four apartment suites in Ram Village Apartments.

“What we tried to do is think about making sure that this is available to everyone from a first-year upcoming student to a graduating senior,” said Terri Phoenix, director for UNC’s Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Center.

To be considered for the pilot program, students must apply online through the Housing website before Feb. 15.

“RAs will interact and work with members of the gender non-specific pilot program in the same way they would work with any other suite or apartment on their floor,” Phoenix said.

The success of the pilot will depend on the feedback of participating students, said Rick Bradley, assistant director of assignments and communication in the Department of Housing and Residential Education.

“If the participants in the program … didn’t feel safe or welcomed in the community, then I think we would have to look at that and consider whether the program did or did not meet the goals,” Bradley said.

Sophomore Alex Frankfort said that gender neutral non-specific housing is a great option for students.

“I believe that it is a very good development for UNC because it’s providing a safer environment for everyone,” he said.

“I would consider it because I have friends that aren’t of my gender and it would be nice to live with them.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.