ASG’s president must be articulate and focused

Though none of the candidates were particularly inspiring, the best ticket that is running in the UNC-system Association of Student Government election is that of Robert Nunnery for president and Olivia Sedwick for vice president.

Nunnery’s vision — which is more pragmatic and reasonable than that of his opponents — and Sedwick’s involvement put them a hair above the rest.

As ASG president, Nunnery would act as a student advocate to the UNC-system Board of Governors. Since he would be the only student sitting on the board, his relationship with the board would be crucial when it seeks student input.

Nunnery possesses valuable experience in this area as he is currently the student body resident of UNC-Pembroke, a position which requires working with the university’s Board of Trustees. In addition, his previous work with the vice chairman of the Board of Governors speaks to his experience.

During interviews with the editorial board, Nunnery demonstrated that he is able to speak effectively and intelligently on student issues. Displaying eloquence to lawmakers is critical with the threats of increased tuition and loan rate hikes looming overhead.

As vice president, Sedwick’s leadership style would complement Nunnery’s without being redundant.

While Nunnery seems to have the capacity to act as an effective representative, Sedwick’s extensive involvement at Winston-Salem State University indicates that she knows how to manage time and organization — a useful feature in a vice president.