Report highlights need for repairs in NC infrastructure

Never has a D-plus looked so good.

That’s the grade the American Society of Civil Engineers recently gave the nation in its infrastructure report card
— an improvement from the D it received in 2009.

The study, conducted every four years, examines everything from the state of bridges to the use of renewable waste.

“The big takeaways are that our infrastructure grade actually went up,” said Clark Barrineau, a spokesman for the society.

“While totally unacceptable, it is in some ways encouraging. We now know that when we invest, when we commit, we will see results.”

North Carolina was graded slightly higher than the country as a whole — receiving a C-minus.

The report also examined the infrastructure needs of public schools.

The study estimated that state schools nationwide need about$9.8 billion for building repairs and improvements.

The UNC system has a backlog of repairs of about $2.4 billion, said Charles Perusse, chief operating officer for the system.

Perusse said the infrastructure money is used for addressing roof repairs, energy efficiency and potential safety hazards, such as uneven sidewalks.

In his budget proposal last week, Gov. Pat McCrory proposed about $50 million for the UNC system’s infrastructure needs next year.

In the past, the system has shared infrastructure spending evenly with state government — but McCrory proposed that the state government receive $100 million for infrastructure renovations next year.

Perusse said the governor and many legislators view the UNC system as having more access to different sources of revenue, such as tuition.

He said the system would still try to persuade legislators to increase the infrastructure spending for the system.

“Absolutely, we would be working on behalf of the system to get our fair share,” Perusse said. “We want to be treated fairly, and we feel that the 50/50 split is fair.”

In addition to schools’ infrastructure needs, the report also examined the state’s overall infrastructure issues.

The lowest grade the state received, a D-minus, was for roads. The report found that driving on damaged roads costs state residents around $1.6 billion a year — $241 per motorist.

About 45 percent of the state’s roads are in poor or mediocre condition, according to the study.

Nicole Meister, a spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Transportation, said the department is trying to improve the state’s roads.

“We are focusing on preservation and keeping current roads in good condition,” she said. “Essentially, we want to resurface a road just when it starts to crack.”

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.