UNC music professor debuts third album

Stephen Anderson, a jazz piano and composition professor at the University, released a new album this month titled “Believe.”

Jazz piano and composition professor Stephen Anderson said playing the piano was mandatory during his upbringing, but as an adult he is driven by a love of music.

Anderson released a new album this month, titled “Believe,” with his jazz combo, the Stephen Anderson Trio.

“Believe” is the third album from the trio, consisting of bassist Jeffry Eckels, drummer Ross Pedersen and pianist Anderson — and guest artist Joel Frahm on the tenor saxophone.

For this album Anderson said he tried to write in a more free and loose style.

“I didn’t worry about track order or sound — I’d wake up in the morning with a little ditty in my head and just start writing,” Anderson said.

“A big part of composing is just getting your head in the right space … These tunes just fell from the sky. To me, it was kind of a miracle project.”

Nathan Huvard, whose jazz combo is coached by Anderson, said Anderson’s modified approach delivered a raw result.

“It’s definitely a very emotionally driven album,” Huvard said.

Anderson said he has been cultivating his compositional prowess for most of his life.

As the son of the neighborhood piano teacher, piano lessons were required in the Anderson household.

“My mom forced us all to play piano,” Anderson said.

“The rule was you couldn’t quit piano until you could play the hymns in church.”

From a very young age Anderson said he started writing original music, and would give cassette recordings of his work to friends and family.

He said his early influences included the popular rock groups, but quickly gravitated towards a diverse interest of jazz and classical artists such as Bela Bartok, McCoy Tyner and Bill Evans — and others.

“We’d listen to Mozart and John Denver at dinnertime as a family,” he said.

Stewart Engart, a junior composition major who studies under Anderson, said Anderson’s influence has helped him view composition in new ways.

“The way Dr. Anderson synthesizes together different sounds and styles makes his writing truly unique and engaging.”

Other recent pieces by Anderson include a concerto for piano and orchestra titled “Dysfunctional,” which was performed by the UNC Symphony Orchestra, and “Edge,” which was performed by the UNC Wind Ensemble.

“The sound of his pieces is very Americana,” said Ryan Dickey, a Kenan Music Scholar who plays the euphonium and studies jazz piano under Anderson.

“He draws very much from the American blues and jazz tradition, and yet he’s also clearly informed by classical influences,” Dickey said.

Anderson said his love for making music won’t stop any time soon.

“By the time I die, I would like to write 10 symphonies, 10 pieces for wind ensemble and 10 or so pieces for jazz band,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.