Christy Lambden's inauguration: ‘A time of flux’

Will Leimenstoll hands over his position of Student Body presidency to Christy Lambden at the Inauguration Tuesday evening.

As a new group of student government leaders was inaugurated Tuesday night, many acknowledged a series of complex challenges the University will continue to face in the next year — but said they remain hopeful.

“Carolina is in a time of flux,” said Student Body President Christy Lambden at the inauguration of the 2013-14 legislative and executive officers.

He said the issues they will face include coordinating with the new chancellor, facing further budget cuts and continuing discussions on how to improve student safety.

Other student government branches also voiced their concerns on being leaders in a time of change.

Charlie Loeser, the graduate and professional student honor court outreach coordinator, said the body’s traditional role will be challenged in light of recent, broad criticism related to sexual assault cases.

He said there are proposals being considered that would place a faculty member on the court, potentially giving him or her the power to vote on cases.

“We are working to avoid that because we feel it would compromise the principles of the student-run honor court,” Loeser said.

He said his main goal will be to spread awareness of how the honor system functions and how potential changes will affect students.

The only position to not be filled was student body treasurer.

Junior Matt Farley, who Lambden nominated for the position, did not receive enough votes on March 26 to be approved by Student Congress. The Student Code stipulates that executive officer nominees must receive two-thirds of the vote in order to be approved.

Lambden — whose parents flew in from England to attend the event — said he had no comment on how the search for a replacement is going.

Paige Comparato, speaker of Student Congress, advised the newly elected representatives of Student Congress to keep their constituents in mind when serving in their roles next year.

“Think back to our purpose, represent students — work on their behalf,” she said.

“Hold all of your peers to this high standard.”

Lambden said the foundation left by former Student Body President Will Leimenstoll is a solid start for his administration.

He added he is confident in his team’s ability to advocate for students and create a better community for them.

“We will come through the various challenges the University faces together, and I know that when we do, Carolina will be stronger as a result,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.