Businessman, musician declares candidacy for Orange County sheriff

Andy Cagle

Andy Cagle

Andy Cagle wants voters to know he’s more than just a candidate for Orange County sheriff — he’s an upstanding citizen, a business owner and a traveling bluegrass and gospel musician.

Cagle, a resident of Efland, has declared his candidacy for Orange County sheriff in the 2014 election. The primary will be held in May 2014.

Lindy Pendergrass has been elected as Orange County’s sheriff for eight consecutive terms since 1982. Pendergrass could not be reached for comment.

Cagle opened Cagle’s Corner Grading, Hauling and Septic Systems in his hometown of Efland in 1997.

While he has yet to release an official platform, his campaign website promises a focus on efficiency and reducing running costs for the county jail.

Cagle is a registered Democrat and said he plans to compete in the Democratic primary.

But Cagle said political affiliation isn’t important to him.

“When I meet a person, I don’t see color, and I don’t see a Republican or a Democrat,” he said. “I see a person with a potential need.”

And helping those in need has always been important to Cagle, he said.

“I’m running because I care about people in general. I’ve always tried to help people,” Cagle said. “I like to see people doing well, I like to see people happy.”

He said he also sees room for improvement in the communication between residents and county law enforcement.

“I think I’m the link to bridge that gap,” he said.

While he has only recently started laying out plans for what he could bring to the sheriff position, Cagle said he has one purpose in mind for his candidacy.

“My goal is to provide a safe environment for people to raise their families in Orange County,” Cagle said.

Larry Talbert, a friend of Cagle’s, said despite Cagle’s lack of law enforcement experience, he is the kind of person Orange County needs.

“It doesn’t take a law enforcement officer to make a good sheriff,” Talbert said. “You need a good administrator.”

Talbert said Cagle is well-thought of in the community, and he is a fair, respectable person.

“I don’t know of anybody that could even say anything bad about Andy Cagle,” he said.

Morris Shambley, a neighbor and friend of Cagle’s, said he has known the Cagle family for years and has always thought well of them.

“Andy’s always been a nice and a well-up person,” he said.

Shambley also said he thinks Cagle is a fair leader with good judgment.

“I think that would be one of his strong points, how he treats people and respects people,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.