Constance Orr leads UNC softball in wins against Va. Tech

Whenever North Carolina softball ace Lori Spingola has needed extra run support, standout third baseman Constance Orr has been the one most likely to back her up in a close game.

“Connie’s just been great all year,” Spingola said. “She’s a competitor, and she goes up there and she just hacks at pitches. She competes every single time she goes up.”

The Charlotte native did it again this weekend as the Tar Heels came away with two victories at Anderson Stadium. The 2-1 series result against Virginia Tech was due in no small part to an explosive offensive performance by Orr.

“We’ve been hitting much better as a team,” Orr said. “And I think from here on out we’re just going to keep hitting bombs.”

Orr, a fifth-year senior who redshirted her junior year, leads the Tar Heels in nearly every offensive category this season, including hits (37), home runs (nine), RBIs (33) and slugging percentage (.676).

“Her bat this year has really come alive,” coach Donna Papa said. “She’s worked really hard being more disciplined as a hitter, using her legs more, and she’s gotten confidence, but she’s also become a leader for us out on the field.”

Orr’s hot bat led the Tar Heels this weekend as she recorded three RBIs in Saturday’s doubleheader, including two home runs in four at-bats in the first game.

“You can tell when she’s going to get a hit because she has that attitude and that confidence,” Spingola said.

And Orr’s confidence has been growing steadily throughout the season.

“We’ve just been hitting better and better,” said Orr, a sports administration major.

Also a pitcher and first baseman for the Tar Heels, Orr is arguably the most versatile player on Papa’s squad, and the long-time coach said Orr can play almost anywhere on the field.

“I feel like I could put her at shortstop and she could do it and not even have practiced there,” said Papa.

With commencement around the corner, Orr has no set post-graduation plans but said she is looking forward to “getting away from things for a while” and getting a rest from the stress of balancing schoolwork and a Division I sport.

“I just need a break,” she said.

With 18 contests remaining before the ACC Tournament in Tallahassee, Fla., including six consecutive games at Anderson Stadium in the next seven days, the Tar Heels are hoping their run-scoring machine doesn’t slow down just yet.

“I’ve just seen her grow as a player this year more than any year, and we need her to be that leader for us,” said Papa. “I’m proud of what she’s done, and I think she’s extremely talented.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.