Moran’s grand slam hands UNC a win

The North Carolina baseball team has made a living out of the big inning. It usually includes several hits, some timely base running and multiple players picking up RBIs.

In Wednesday’s 7-5 win against Liberty, the Tar Heels’ big inning only required one swing. It was provided by Colin Moran, who crushed an opposite-field grand slam in the bottom of the fifth inning to turn a tense 1-1 tie into a comfortable 5-1 lead.

Moran now leads the team with eight round-trippers on the season, and coach Mike Fox didn’t seem surprised to see his third baseman launch another one out of the ballpark.

“He’s locked in right now,” Fox said. “I’ve seen Colin in this mode right now where you think every swing he takes he’s going to get a base hit. He’s also been playing a sensational third base for us. He’s a pretty special player.”

It was his first grand slam as a Tar Heel and the most important moment of the game, but the unassuming Moran deflected all the praise to his teammates.

“Any time you hit a grand slam, it’s fun,” Moran said. “It was just a good game today. The bullpen has been picking us up recently. It’s just nice to help them out and come out with the win.”

Wednesday night’s starter for UNC was actually drawn from the bullpen — freshman reliever Reilly Hovis made his first career start. Hovis went 4 2/3 innings while surrendering only one run on three hits, providing the other Tar Heel starters with a much-needed day off while proving himself a serviceable replacement.

“Reilly Hovis was good for us,” Fox said. “He goes out there and throws almost five innings and doesn’t walk a batter. I thought that was the story of the game, because if he doesn’t give us five innings, we’re in a mess.”

The Tar Heels did manage to create a bit of a mess in the ninth inning. Leading 7-1 entering the final frame, the last three outs seemed a mere formality as Chris O’Brien took the mound to close the game.

But the Flames had a big inning of their own and closed the gap to 7-5. It took the fifth Tar Heel pitcher of the inning, Tate Parrish, to finally secure the elusive 27th out to push the top-ranked team in the country to 31-2.

With such an impressive record, it would be easy for the Tar Heels to start dreaming of postseason glory, but junior catcher, and outfielder Brian Holberton said the team is not reflecting on its impressive record.

“We try not to even think about, its kind of cliche, but we take it one day at a time. Every day, we go out there, and we have fun. It’s just a great group of guys who just want to go out there and win.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.