Rapper Phife Dawg gives lecture to culture of DJing class at UNC

Phife Dawg has been a UNC fan since he was 10 years old.

So when the member of the iconic hip-hop group A Tribe Called Quest was asked to speak to a DJ history and culture class Tuesday, he said he was elated.

“When I was asked to come here I was like, ‘Wow, my favorite basketball team’s school,’” he said.

“‘I’m gonna do my first lecture at my favorite basketball team’s school?’ I was like, ‘Alright cool, I’ll do it.’”

Phife Dawg and his friend and business partner DJ Rasta Root spoke to a group of about 70 people in the class ­Music 286 “The Art & Culture of DJ.”

Rasta Root has been a DJ for 23 years and is the owner of the record company Smokin’ Shells.

The pair gave a live performance and spoke to the class about their careers as artists.

Rasta Root said Phife Dawg is his favorite artist he’s worked with.

“It’s been an interesting experience for me because I really went from fan to friend to coworker, if you will,” he said.

“And that’s been crazy. It’s rare that you can say you’re working with someone whose music you’ve appreciated and really molded who you are as a person.”

Phife Dawg said performing on stage is his favorite part of the job.

“I mean, I love recording, and I love the creative process as well,” he said.

“But there’s nothing better than when the adrenaline’s flowing when you step on that stage and the music drops.”

Phife Dawg said he likes the fun nature of today’s hip-hop tracks, adding that he enjoys Juicy J’s “Bandz A Make Her Dance.”

“There’s a time and a place for everything,” he said. “So that’s why I’m not totally mad at the hip-hop I’m hearing right now.”

He said his favorite artists today are Kendrick Lamar, Joey Bada$$ and Rihanna.

Mark Katz, the professor who hosted Phife Dawg and Rasta Root, said having artists visit the class increases its relevance.

“Having artists in the class is integral to the whole conception of the course,” he said.

“I think it’s really important for the students to learn about DJing — not just from me, but from professional DJs.”

Katz said Red Bull, which has donated equipment to the music department as well as offered scholarships to students, paid for the artists to come to campus.

Rasta Root said he was happy to be able to speak with students because he didn’t have the same opportunity when he was young.

“I didn’t have a lecture to go to, or someone to peer mentor me or tutor me or whatever,” he said.

“I feel like this music and DJing has done so much for me … and I feel like it should always be about giving back.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.