At the end of each and every column this year, I’ve made certain to give a shoutout to President Barack Obama. He’s my president, after all (and yours, too, but only if you love pictures of him with children or Bo the dog!).

I know the habit might seem odd to some, but I prefer to think about it like the Pledge of Allegiance in schools (I know you liberals fighting the War on America don’t like this). Where would we be without our fearless leader, anyhow?

I’m so proud of my president. It must be hard to solve all of the world’s problems and be on the right side of every single issue, but somehow he manages!

OK, I could go on all day, but the space here is limited, so I’ll stop trolling.

I say, “Thanks, Obama” for two reasons. The first is that he helped me realize that I am a libertarian. The second is to parody the stereotypical, cranky libertarian that is ostracized by mainstream politics. Quick: What do you think of when you hear the word “libertarian?” Exactly.

The fact is that libertarians have been on the fringe of American politics for a long time, not to discount the many intelligent people throughout history supportive of the libertarian philosophy or its tenets.

So the stereotype, and my mocking of it, is only natural. Sitting back and blaming Obama, or a system wildly out of control, isn’t likely to do a lot of good in the long run. Complaining is easy — becoming a part of the mainstream discussion and changing hearts and minds is difficult.

This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t pay attention and keep politicians accountable. But we’re unlikely to change the way the world works if we yell, “Thanks, Obama!” at the television or around the dinner table (or at the bottom of a DTH column).

I wonder if the president reads my column. I’m guessing yes, but I could be convinced either way.

The good news is that the mood is shifting, especially among the younger generation. Whether it’s rethinking our foreign policy, the war on drugs or marriage, freedom is becoming increasingly popular. Mismanagement from large institutions and calamities like the War in Iraq, the Hurricane Katrina response and the financial meltdown have left members of Generation Y skeptical of government — and rightfully so.

The 2008-09 transition from the Bush administration to Obama’s was the first big transition of power that I was conscious for. I realized as I age that both parties, now and forever, are interested primarily in expanding their own power, often at the price of our liberties. Leaving people alone is a tricky thing, and it’s something we’re constantly working on — and failing at.

The internet has fostered a culture of decentralization, the sharing of knowledge and individuality. It’s unlikely we’ll ever reach libertarian utopia, but I hope that our generation will do a better job of embracing the idea that people should live freely, an idea that no one politician can, or should, deliver.

Thanks, Obama.