AOL co-founder delivers tips for success

Graduation
Graduation

Steve Case, co-founder and former chief executive officer of America Online, ended his commencement address Sunday morning with an unusual request.

He asked all the members of the audience — graduates as well as family members — to stand for a picture.

“Given that I spent most of my life trying to get people to use the internet, it’s only fitting that I end by sharing this momentous occasion on Twitter,” he said.

Case tweeted the picture of the crowd and asked the 35,000 people in attendance to retweet it.

Case was the commencement speaker at this year’s graduation ceremony, where family and friends gathered on Mother’s Day to show their support and celebrate the achievements of the class of 2013.

In his address, Case presented his keys to success, crediting the accomplishments of AOL to what he calls the 3 P’s – people, passion and perseverance.

“I hope you’ll remember those three key attributes,” he said.

“And constantly reassess your own lives — and your own choices — to be sure you’re working with and for the best possible team of people, you’re rabidly passionate about whatever path you choose, and you have the perseverance to stick with it through the tough times so you can be there when things finally break through.”

Case also stressed the importance of entrepreneurship in his address.

“Our communities rise and fall based on how innovative they can be,” he said.

Several of the speakers who gave remarks before Case’s address offered their thanks to Chancellor Holden Thorp, who will be leaving UNC July 1.

“We owe you a deep debt of gratitude,” UNC-system president Tom Ross said. “You will be sorely missed.”

Paul Fulton, representing the Board of Governors, presented English professor Darryl Gless with the UNC Board of Governors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching, and five distinguished honorees were presented with honorary degrees.

Tim Palmer, president of the senior class, urged his classmates to remember two things as they leave Chapel Hill.

“Remember what (former Student Body President) Eve Carson taught us,” he said. “As we strive to be great, always remember to be good.

“And the second thing to remember is that the University is your home, and we are all your family.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.