Construction moves forward on PTA Thrift Shop in Carrboro

The construction of the new Carrboro PTA Thrift Shop is steadily progressing as it aims to reopen in early October.

People who miss searching for that perfect secondhand sweater will be happy to hear the Carrboro PTA Thrift Shop is one step closer to opening.

The reconstruction of the thrift shop, which benefits public school Parent Teacher Associations in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, made progress with the delivery of steel to the construction site this month.

Matt Pennachi, the shop’s director of community relations, said the construction on the store, located on Jones Ferry Road in Carrboro, is estimated to be finished in early October, when the shop anticipates getting its certificate of occupancy.

“This is the point where things start to take the shape and it starts to go vertical,” he said. “Once the steel is in place, you can go by the site every day and see something noticeably different in the progress of the building.”

The new building will offer more space for retail and storage in addition to a third floor, which will be rental space, he said.

He said the new building will make selling and buying simpler.

“Our old building had gotten to a point where it was no longer economical to continue to refurbish that building,” he said.

“It will not only be easier for donors to drop off their donations, it will be easier for our staff to process and store the donations and to get it out on the retail sales floor more quickly.”

The construction is broken into two phases and will cost an estimated $5 million. The update has been in the works for more than three years, Pennachi said.

Project manager Dana Trent, who assists with fundraising, said more than $427,000 has been raised toward the ultimate goal of $1 million. The money has come from individuals, community members, local businesses and grants, she said.

“We are nearly halfway there, which is phenomenal,” Trent said.

Trent said she was amazed with the amount of money raised.

“The PTA Thrift Shop has never raised money before. This is the first time in its 61-year history it has asked for money,” she said. “We want the community to continue to contribute.”

Edward LaFrage, a PTA Thrift Shop customer from Salisbury, said he visits the shop a couple times each year with his dad.

“My dad likes the books, and at the old location they had the downstairs with all of the books, and he would stay in there,” LaFrage said.

A cashier at the shop, Condra Jones, said she loves the customer service aspect of the job. She said there are fewer employees at the temporary location, which allows her to be more personal with customers.

“That friendly customer side to get to know people intimately has been fun while being at this location,” she said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.