Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, resigned from her seat Monday after serving in the N.C. Senate for 17 years.

“I feel that my energy and time is best spent to help get Democrats elected statewide and restore our standing as a progressive beacon of light in the Southeast,” she said in a statement. “I am also working on a grassroots effort to assure that people have a voter ID and are registered to vote.”

Kinnaird had been serving her ninth term representing Orange and Chatham Counties.

Her full statement is below:

At this time, I have decided to resign my seat in the Senate. Therefore I am submitting my resignation from the North Carolina Senate, District 23, Orange and Chatham Counties effective as of 19 August 2013.

I feel that my energy and time is best spent to help get Democrats elected statewide and restore our standing as a progressive beacon of light in the southeast. I am also working on a grass-roots effort to assure that people have a voter ID and are registered to vote.

I have greatly appreciated serving with my fellow legislators and all the elected officials in the District as we have worked for the good of our constituents. I also have appreciated the many people who have contacted me over the years as we worked together for good legislation.

It has truly been a privilege to serve and thank everyone for this honor.