Viewpoint: Class may be a burden, but it could save lives

Trey Bright is a sophomore economics and political Science major from Fayetteville.

THE ISSUE: AlcoholEdu is an alcohol education program that all freshmen must complete. Some argue that if the class factors into saving students’ lives, it’s worth it. Others believe that it doesn’t have an effect on high risk drinkers. View the other side of the issue.

The University administration has started to forcefully mandate that freshmen take AlcoholEdu as they prepare for the reality swap that is college.

Requiring the alcohol-training course is a step in the right direction towards campus safety — and the well being of the student body as a whole.

In past years, the University used an alternative program that implemented a soft mandate policy in which they strongly encouraged freshmen to take the alcohol education tutorial — but did not require it.

By taking a hard stance and mandating the completion of the program, the University has finally implemented an alcohol education program that will succeed.

Students who fail to complete this requirement will not be able to register for spring courses until they do so, and it is this type of punishment that will motivate students to take the tutorial and ultimately keep them safe.

In the end, if AlcoholEdu is responsible for saving just one life, it has done its job at the University of North Carolina, burden or not.