Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, announced on Monday that he will not run for the seat of U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C.

He will instead focus on seeking re-election to the N.C. Senate.

“I’m proud of what our Republican Senate majority has accomplished over the past three legislative sessions, and there is still much more for us to do in the North Carolina Senate,” Berger said in a statement.

N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, has already announced his plans to run for the U.S. Senate seat.

Berger’s full statement is below:

“Over the past several months, I’ve heard from numerous people across North Carolina asking me to declare my candidacy for the United States Senate. I am humbled and grateful for the kind words of encouragement. Like many, I understand that one of the most important political tasks before us is to replace Kay Hagan as North Carolina’s junior United States Senator. Senator Hagan’s tenure in Washington has been a disappointment in countless ways. Her record does not reflect the conservative values of most North Carolinians or the strong leadership we deserve from our elected representatives. I understand that winning this seat has tremendous implications not only for control of the U.S. Senate in the final two years of the Obama presidency, but also for the direction of our nation.

However, after careful consideration and consultation with family, friends and supporters, I have decided now is not the time for me to undertake such a campaign.

I’m proud of what our Republican Senate majority has accomplished over the past three legislative sessions, and there is still much more for us to do in the North Carolina Senate. For me, the essential questions have always been: Where can my efforts have the most positive and lasting impact on the lives of everyday North Carolinians? Where can the most be done to increase economic opportunity, improve our public schools, and make North Carolina the best place in America to live, work and raise a family? Ultimately, the answer to those questions remains: in the state Senate, where I’m honored to represent the people of Guilford and Rockingham counties.”