Last season, the North Carolina football team allowed Georgia Tech’s offense to score at will in a 68-50 loss.

Leading up to this season’s meeting between the two teams, coach Larry Fedora identified three ways in which UNC’s offense and special teams can lighten the load on the defense — eliminate turnovers, finish drives and move the chains.

The Tar Heels committed two turnovers in last year’s game — a Bryn Renner fumble and later an interception — and surrendered the ball at their own 27-yard line on a failed fake punt.

Georgia Tech turned those mistakes into 17 points, which made all the difference in the shootout.

“I know everybody jumped all over the defense, and we’re not sitting there condoning the way the defense played, but it was not a one-sided deal,” Fedora said. “It was not just the defense that gave up problems or created problems for us. It was the entire team.”

As for finishing drives, the Tar Heels were successful in their 50-point outburst last season, but last week’s game against Middle Tennessee State featured three three-and-out drives and two drives in which UNC settled for field goals.

“With an offense like (Georgia Tech’s) that is very, very productive and very difficult to defend, you cannot give them extra possessions and you can’t give up points on special teams,” Fedora said referring to last year’s mistakes. “You really don’t have much of a chance to win if you do that.”

Long drives have not typically been a trademark of Fedora’s no-huddle offense, which often scores quickly, but Fedora said he doesn’t see the no-huddle as a burden on the defense.

“I don’t think that we have to change what we do offensively to slow the game down to give our defense a better chance,” Fedora said.

Five of North Carolina’s seven touchdowns in last year’s game were scored on drives lasting fewer than three minutes.

“It felt like we were sitting down and getting up a lot,” Renner said.

This season, the running game has accounted for 12 of the Tar Heels’ 45 first downs, and Renner said it hasn’t thrived in what he said Fedora calls “critical situations.”

“We’ve been struggling as far as that third-and-two, third-and-one, and we know that’s a point of emphasis, especially this week,” Renner said. The Yellow Jackets’ offense was on the field for nearly 15 minutes more than UNC’s in last year’s game.

Fedora said picking up first downs to keep the defense off the field will be critical Saturday.

“If we keep moving the chains,” Fedora said, “eventually you run out of white lines and good things will happen.”