UNC-system happenings, September 4, 2013

Part of a weekly update on UNC-system schools.

ASU to offer new program

Appalachian State University is slated to begin offering a physician’s assistant program next fall in partnership with the Wake Forest School of Medicine, said Susan Roggenkamp, associate academic dean of ASU’s College of Health Sciences.

Roggenkamp said the program’s focus is fostering student interest in serving rural areas. Wake Forest University’s School of Medicine, which currently offers one of the top-ranked physician’s assistant programs in the nation, will organize the curriculum with ASU, serving as a teaching site. Wake Forest will also handle the program’s admissions process.

The teaching site will accommodate between 24 and 32 students per year.

UNC-G offers free music events

UNC-Greensboro began offering many of its music concerts for free this summer, said Kelly Burke, associate dean at UNC-G’s School of Music, Theater and Dance.

Burke said the school changed its policy to allow students to have larger audiences at their performances, as well as to cut costs of box office staffing. She said the decision has been applauded by faculty with “shouts of joy.”

She said tickets to UNC-G-sponsored music events are reasonably priced, with the most expensive tickets being about $15.

East Carolina adds Phi Mu
East Carolina University has decided to add a new chapter of the Phi Mu sorority after consultation among the school’s nine existing Panhellenic Sororities, said Kara Jean Dough, recruitment director for the school’s Panhellenic Council.

UNC-C fights smoking

UNC-Charlotte has developed a new initiative to help combat smoking on campus.

The program, called “Sit Your Butt Down,” uses signs of park benches and cigarettes to encourage people on campus to smoke only in designated areas, said Shawnte Elbert, health education specialist at the school.