The bike-walk class struggle

Glenn Lippig

Glenn Lippig

Are you in Carolina’s 90 percent? Karl Marx, an eminent economist and starving communist, once wrote in his Communist Manifesto that “the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.”

Back in Marx’s day, there was a class struggle between the bourgeoisie and proletariat, or the rich and the poor. The rich owned factories, and factories owned poor workers.

Marx criticized capitalism’s knack for crafting an unequal distribution of wealth. Wealth distribution, in economic terms, measures who owns all the dollar bills within a society.

Today, Carolina suffers from a non-wealth inequality: an unequal distribution of wheels. College perpetuates a class struggle between bougie bikers and the pedestrian masses.

As of 2011, only 10 percent of Carolina students ride bicycles, while almost 90 percent walk. This means that 10 percent of students own 100 percent of the campus’ wheels!

That’s a social inequality so egregious, it makes Occupy Wall Street look like a preschool playground squabble.

Wheel ownership affords Carolina’s helmet-wearing elite all types of bike privilege perks. They enjoy faster transit times, VIP bike rack parking and minimal backpack strap sweat.

All the while, Carolina’s walking class suffers sans wheels. While bikers speedily commute from cushy suburbs, walkers’ wheellessness forces them to inhabit crowded, overpriced slums on campus (aka “dorms”). They also have higher shin splint rates than bikers.

The wheel of misfortune worsens: bikers flaunt their wheels. Acting like they were born with a silver pedal under foot, the 10 percent bullies the 90 percent into submission with the threat of being run over by commuting bikes — right into a faceful of Pit bricks.

Bicyclist lobbyists pervade campus government, lavishing pedestrians’ hard-spent tuition money on bourgeoisie bike amenities — like an electric tire pump near the OneCard office.

At the day’s end, bikers gather at the Daily Grind to admire each other’s wheels and sip $5 macchiatos. They use this time to jeer walkers, studying hard for their freedom in the UL.

If Carolina’s bikers just shared their wheels, pedestrian students would be happy. But bikers are a selfish bunch, using locks and keys to protect their private bicycle property. Even while they’re in class, bikers refuse to lend their bicycles to wheel-less walkers.

Comrade Marx proposed a solution to wealth inequality: redistribution of wealth. Wealth redistribution, in economic terms, means that the government transfers a bit of the rich’s wealth to the poor to decrease inequality.

Carolina needs a redistribution of wheels. To prevent a pedestrian revolt, Chancellor Folt must decree that bicycles be cut in half, so that twice as many students can use wheels.

All Tar Heels will ride unicycles, and justice will be achieved for the 90 percent.

I should conclude this Commuter Manifesto — but I’m late to class and forget where I locked my bicycle.