UNC-system happenings, October 25, 2013

NCCU student leads effort to find donors

N.C. Central University held a “Give a Spit” drive last week to help match potential bone marrow donors to recipients across the state. Sheldon Mba, an NCCU sophomore, suffers from a rare blood disease only curable through a bone marrow transplant and is spearheading the campaign to support donations.

He said it’s hard to stay positive with some of his symptoms, including severe cramps and headaches.

“I find something that makes me laugh, and I hold on to it,” he said. “Smiling and holding onto that happiness for the whole entire day really makes a difference.”

UNC-W professors educate former inmates

UNC-Wilmington recently completed its first course teaching former inmates about justice in education.

The inmates, who come from across the state, live in a transitional housing facility where they can take a six-week course offered by UNC-W. Donyell Roseboro, an education professor, said the dynamic was the same as in the traditional classroom.

“The difference is their life experiences,” she said.

Students maintained blogs about their personal and educational experiences during the course.

NCSU emphasizes laptop, phone security

Students often do not know enough about the security of their personal technology — and N.C. State University is using its “Cyber Security Month” to educate them about possible threats to cellphones and laptops.

N.C. State held a “Mobile Security Device Checkpoint” event earlier this month.

Marc Hoit, vice chancellor for information technology, said students should set passwords on devices and purchase software from reputable sites, including the Apple and Android stores.

“Most students today have a very different view of privacy.”