Woman faces charges for service dog death

Charlene Hayes was devastated when Worthy, a service dog in training she’d worked with, died after being left in a car by a trainer — but she hopes the tragedy will bring greater public awareness for animal rights.

Worthy was owned by Eyes Ears Nose and Paws, a Carrboro nonprofit that trains and places service dogs.

As a “puppy parent” for Eyes Ears Nose and Paws, Hayes received Worthy when he was five months old in Nov. 2011 and helped train him.

On June 10, Eyes Ears Nose and Paws’ training program director Debra Cunningham left Worthy in a car outside the agency. The temperature outside was 77 degrees when Worthy was found overheated and in distress more than an hour later.

Hayes said Worthy’s body temperature was 109 degrees when he was admitted to The Animal Hospital in Carrboro.

According to medical records, he died of heatstroke the next day.

Cunningham, who is still employed at Eyes Ears Nose and Paws, was charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor of cruelty to animals.

Cunningham’s trial, which has already been delayed twice, is now scheduled for Nov. 19 at the Orange County Courthouse in Hillsborough.

Capt. Chris Atack, spokesman for the Carrboro Police Department, said the department’s investigation found probable cause that Cunningham’s action led directly to Worthy’s death.

Jason Murphy, assistant district attorney for Orange County, said the maximum possible punishment for Cunningham is 120 days in jail.

Carrboro’s animal ordinance makes it unlawful to keep an animal in a vehicle without ventilation or air conditioning when the temperature outside is more than 70 degrees, said Bob Marotto, the director of Orange County Animal Services.

Marotto said his department receives as many as 15 calls a week during the summer with cases of animals left in cars, adding that the temperature inside a car can be 20 or 30 degrees warmer than outside.

After Worthy’s death, Hayes said she encouraged others to let the North Carolina General Assembly know how strongly they felt about the issue.

In July, the N.C. General Assembly approved House Bill 612, which makes it unlawful to confine animals in cars under circumstances that threaten the animals’ health. It also gives certain personnel authority to enter a car if a distressed animal is inside.

“I do know that Worthy’s name was mentioned when they proposed the bill, so that really made me feel good,” said Hayes, who helped train five dogs for Eyes Ears Nose and Paws before Worthy.

Hayes continues to make an effort to bring awareness to the community about animal cruelty and asks that people contact the prosecutor about the case.

“In a sense, I’m asking for anybody that has ever loved a dog or cared about a dog to please, please come forward and let them know that this is not acceptable.”