New investigator position should be carefully created

UNC convened a task force dedicated to fixing the system that adjudicates sexual assault on this campus. A new Title IX coordinator has been appointed, but the school has yet to announce who will be UNC’s second Title IX investigator.

That position will require careful consideration, as the role of investigator may take on more weight if the sexual assault task force recommends it should.

Much of the discussion between the task force and Student Congress has centered on the breadth of the Title IX investigator’s responsibilities, and though it has taken significant time, it’s a necessary task.

Currently, Title IX investigators determine if a violation has potentially taken place rather than the validity of an assault claim — a good use of the office. But the way the investigator goes about eliciting a response from a student or students involved in the assault needs to be carefully handled.

It is worth it to be incredibly specific about the wording of the policy before enacting it in order to maintain easily understood rules and a process that allows for appeals. Students who report sexual assault in the future will need the clarity in order to ensure their cases are taken care of as concisely as possible.

If the role is expanded to allow the investigators to speak to both parties before any official hearings occur, it is not unlikely that it could lead to some mediation.

It is possible that a student who initially reported assault could feel pressure to change his or her mind about reporting. On the other hand, allowing for a mediated discussion could always benefit both parties, regardless of the outcome.

Due to the wide spectrum of possibilities that can be incurred by expanding the role of the Title IX investigator, the role must be considered as carefully as possible. Take plenty of time — just get it right.