Routers disrupt Wi-Fi access

Though having Wi-Fi in almost every dormitory this year has been a convenience for many students, some might still be experiencing issues.

A University initiative brought a comprehensive Wi-Fi system to South Campus residence halls this semester and is on its way to North Campus.

But months later, Information and Technology Services continues to find that students’ personal routers are interfering with the newly installed Wi-Fi.

Chris Williams, the manager of ResNet, said as of Nov. 1, there were at least 120 personal routers that needed to be disconnected. University access points use up the Wi-Fi channels — but when another device tries to provide its own wireless connection, interference is created in one of the three original channels.

Jim Gogan, director of networking systems for ITS, said the Wi-Fi system has been experiencing issues because of devices that cause problems with the connections within residence halls.

“Now this interference can not only come from personal or unauthorized routers and access points, but misconfigured Wi-Fi printers, MiFi hotspot devices, cordless phones, baby monitors, leaky microwave ovens,” he said.

When an access point in one of the on-campus locations detects interference, it temporarily disconnects and reconnects all of the people that were using the access point. When it can’t switch, those users lose their network access until the router is disabled.

“Any source of interference not only creates noise on the Wi-Fi channels but can cause frustrating disconnects and reconnects for end users,” Gogan said.

Todd Lane, ITS network specialist, said personal routers are only a part of the problem, adding that misconfigured wireless printers are the No. 1 source of Wi-Fi interference at residence halls.

Williams said the department has not had to deal with a router problem of this scope before.

“Last year it was a much smaller issue because of the lack of official wireless,” he said. “Now it’s a significant problem where residents have no wireless access because a router somewhere in their building or a neighboring building is interfering with their signal.”

He said ITS continues to contact customers with problematic routers and asks them to remove the device.

Williams said students’ inability to access the wireless connection around campus, along with the possible security threats posed by these personal routers that often are not password-protected, has caused ITS to try to shut down any unauthorized device interfering with UNC’s Wi-Fi.

“It’s a time-intensive process to track down the actual owner, but as soon as we can identify them we educate them on the impact and the policy. Most of our students aren’t intending to cause harm, so they willingly comply.”