Spotted Dog restaurant now up for sale

After nearly 16 years as co-owners of The Spotted Dog, Linda Bourne and Karin Mills are leaving behind their pawprint on the restaurant industry.

Bourne and Mills opened The Spotted Dog restaurant in 1998 and listed the property for sale on Tuesday.

The UNC graduates said while they both decided it’s time for retirement, the restaurant — which is focused on vegetarian and healthy food options — should stay the same.

“I don’t think that anything is going to change except the fact that there will be a new owner,” she said.

“We are going to sell Spotted Dog as Spotted Dog to be continued as Spotted Dog.”

Neal DePersia, a broker for National Restaurant Properties, listed the property.

While the property is for sale, DePersia said he is looking for a new owner to take over the restaurant and leave it exactly as is.

Last year, he sold the local Chapel Hill bar He’s Not Here, and the bar faced few changes once he found new owners for it.

DePersia said he hopes The Spotted Dog will follow suit.

“Given how soft the economy is, The Spotted Dog is one of the very few restaurants that is continuing to grow and thrive,” he said.

“It’s a very well-tuned restaurant in amazing shape.”

Bourne said the new owners wouldn’t have to clear any changes with her first, but she is hoping they find someone that understands and loves the Spotted Dog culture enough to keep it the same.

Bourne said the partners have nothing but great memories from the beginning to end of the restaurant.

“I remember sitting with Karin under a big tree across from the Weaver Street Market for half a day and just staring at the building to make sure it was the right fit,” Bourne said.

“We wanted a place that we could really enjoy the people and the food.”

The Spotted Dog is located at 111 East Main St., across the street from Weaver Street Market.

Carrie Monette, Carrboro resident and Spotted Dog regular, said she has met the owners throughout her experiences eating at the restaurant.

“The Spotted Dog feels a little like the bar in the television show ‘Cheers,’” she said.

“You walk in and everybody knows your name. The owners really get to know their customers on a personal level. They even get to know your dietary needs.”

Monette said because of the owners’ genuine hospitality, their absence will be felt.

“They are hardworking women and they really deserve a happy retirement, but they will be missed terribly,” she said.

Although the restaurant is changing owners, Monette said she doesn’t want anything to change about the restaurant itself.

“I want The Spotted Dog to stay exactly the same,” she said.

“They are constantly trying to develop new recipes for their customers and I hope that is a tradition that will continue with the new owner.”