Students encouraged to vote in local elections

Paul Neebe, a candidate for Chapel Hill Town Council, and Chapel Hill constituents sign in before the public information meeting for the Ephesus Church Road/Fordham Boulevard focus area Monday. The public information meeting gives residents the opportunity to address issues within the neighborhood.

Chapel Hill is encouraging its student population to get out and vote today as the town faces contentious municipal issues.

“This election does affect the students — on how easily they can stay here and what their choices are while they live here,” said Chapel Hill Town Council member Gene Pease, who is not running for re-election. “It comes down to the opportunities they have while they study here. Do they want a say on what those opportunities are?”

Nine locals have filed for four open seats on the Chapel Hill Town Council.

Pease said voters of all ages are faced with issues that will affect them directly.

“It’s not just economic development,” he said. “There’s several issues related to that, which students in particular should be aware of.”

Pease said that living space and affordable housing, public transit and the local economy are all factors that should get students out to the polls.

“Where will students stay if they decide to live off-campus?” he said. “The University isn’t building anymore housing, for instance. How are students going to get around if (the town) cuts certain bus routes, especially with the issues we have with parking?”

Chapel Hill Town Council member Sally Greene, who is a candidate in today’s election, said affordable housing emerged as a priority of the town in recent years as part of Chapel Hill’s 2020 Comprehensive Plan.

“In Chapel Hill, as in other desirable places to live, we’ve seen the concentration of affluence rise dramatically,” Greene said in an email. “And yet we know from well-researched data that neighborhoods of mixed income offer social benefits to people of all income levels.”

Greene said UNC students, especially those who live off-campus, should be mindful of this issue.

“As renters with little bargaining power in a robust marketplace, students should not be guilt-stricken by what is really a crisis of affordability,” Greene said.

“Chances are that wherever they go next, there will be similar challenges. We need everyone’s help in strategizing solutions.”

Dwight Bassett, the town’s economic development officer, said Chapel Hill is in need of employment and commercial opportunities.

“Students need to buy things in college,” said Bassett. “My gut says they are mostly crossing into Durham and Chatham Counties, when they should have those things in city limits.”

There were 2,076 votes cast during early voting this year in Orange County. Only 186 early votes were cast at the Rams Head Dining Hall on-campus voting site.

Tracy Reams, director of the Orange County Board of Elections, said the early voter turnout is comparable to — albeit slightly lower than — levels in previous election cycles. In 2011, the last municipal election, there were a total of 4,243 early votes cast.

She said a countywide referendum on a quarter-cent sales tax increase during that election contributed to the large turnout. In the muncipal election in 2009, there were 2,344 ballots cast during early voting.

Reams said she would like to see more people voting, particularly young people.

“It’s a way to have your voice heard,” she said. “If you don’t participate, you have no right to complain if things don’t go your way, in my opinion.”