UNC graduate creates Catalyst dating app

Even in the midst of a digital age, there is still room for missed connections — and a UNC alumnus has created a mobile dating app to fill that gap.

Catalyst, launched earlier this month, targets individuals between 18 and 25 years old in the Triangle area and can be downloaded for free through the iTunes App Store. The app is based on matching people according to their check-in locations. Two weeks after its launch, Catalyst is nearing 1,000 downloads.

Peter Simmons, a 2012 UNC graduate and creator of Catalyst, said the app took five months to develop. He said he raised $200,000 in seed funding for the project. Simmons hosted launch parties at several Chapel Hill bars, including Back Bar at Top of the Hill, The Library and The Thrill. Simmons said that even though there were smaller crowds at Back Bar and The Library, there was still a good overall turnout.

“The launch event went really well — it was a great first opportunity to get the word out about Catalyst and get the ball rolling,” Simmons said.

Simmons said he thought of the idea after meeting his now-fiance at Deep End, leaving only with her first name. They were able to stay in touch because she scanned his BBM barcode on her BlackBerry. Simmons said his goal in creating the app was to make the initial icebreaking easier and less intimidating for people.

“I wanted to create a system where you could just exchange limited peripheral information,” he said.

Catalyst focuses on the user’s check-in location. Users can anonymously like other users in the area. If they choose to like each other, they will be matched up. It then allows them to talk before deciding if they want to meet in person.

Simmons said the check-in feature that closely matches users based on location is one of the ways Catalyst is different from other mobile dating apps.

“We don’t resort to an algorithm or generated list,” he said.

Catalyst also encourages users to regularly upload a “selfie” so users aren’t deceived by old profile pictures.

Lisa Pearce, a sociology professor at UNC, said there are many things that go into compatibility.

“For college students, you’re at a time and place in life where you have a lot of social interaction with other people your age, and people similar to you, just because of the way your life is structured,” she said.

“Technology may still help you meet someone you may have otherwise notmet through the activities you’re doing.”

Sophomore Jason Reid said he thinks Catalyst could take off.

“I think it has a lot of potential,” he said. “I think it’s just getting the bandwagon on it. If everyone is doing it, I will do it too.”