George Cianciolo

After heading the mammoth project that has been Chapel Hill 2020, few can say they have devoted more time to this town than George Cianciolo. This has given him a deep knowledge of Chapel Hill and the bureaucracy that governs it, as well as a clear insight to the growth that the town will eventually undergo. However, this knowledge and perspective seem to already be shared by some on the board. Given this, the editorial board felt some of the perspectives available were more valuable. There is no doubt Cianciolo would fit on Town Council, however others may just fit a bit better.

Loren Hintz

Loren Hintz is a qualified candidate for Town Council — his strong emphasis on the environment is a significant advantage. However, it is not enough to distinguish him from the other qualified candidates. While it is very valuable, the movement to “Go Green” is not unheard in the community. Chapel Hill is currently facing problems that go beyond the environment and the scope of Hintz’s expertise.

D.C. Swinton

D.C. Swinton is a true breath of fresh air in the Town Council discussion. He is genuine, speaks from the heart and is adept at connecting with people, particularly young adults. Swinton is certainly in a position to be an extremely valuable member of the Chapel Hill community, perhaps even as a Town Council member in the future, but we view him in more of a social activist role for the time being. His emphasis on combatting sexual assault is well-founded but isn’t adequate as a platform headliner.

Gary Kahn

Gary Kahn has a strong understanding of the issues that the Chapel Hill Town Council is facing, but he lacks many essential characteristics of a politician. Specifically, he is unable to empathize with people of a different opinion, show any concrete plans concerning the future of Chapel Hill or garner support from his constituents.

Paul Neebe

Paul Neebe was raised in Chapel Hill, and his passion for the city is undeniable. He is especially conscious of problems unique to a college town, such as high levels of pedestrian and bicycle traffic. However, his preparation for the political field is lacking, as he was less than familiar with the basic points of his platform. His ideas for expanding the light rail and maintaining the quality of life in town were also vague and financially infeasible.