Construction of LUX apartments on schedule

The waitlist for LUX at Central Park is almost full, and the apartment complex is scheduled to open on time next fall.

Construction might look like its still in its early stages, but Scott Montgomery, property manager of the apartments, said the complex is developing on schedule.

“The expectation is for them to move in in August,” he said. “Everything has been going as planned.”

LUX, formerly known as Bicycle Apartments, is located on a 9.13-acre site on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Montgomery said crews are currently working on the project’s foundation.

“We are feeling very great about the progress,” he said. “We have recently been completing our foundation for the apartment.”

Most of the foundation for the 319-unit complex is complete, said Andrew Wishart, director of construction operations.

“The construction of the LUX at Central Park is progressing well with the underground utilities, base road work, foundations and load-bearing masonry nearing completion,” he said in a statement.

“The framing is now underway, which will allow a very observable status of the project.”

Alex Hamel, a sophomore at UNC, is moving into the complex next year and said he is excited to have a new apartment.

“It comes furnished, and it is in walking distance to campus,” Hamel said. “The pricing is pretty good, and I’m pretty excited. I get my own bathroom and my own kitchen, so I’m pretty excited.”

Although Hamel said he thought the price was in the right range, he said he was worried about electricity costs and possible noise problems.

“I know everything is included except for electricity,” Hamel said. “Hopefully it won’t be noisy as well because I know it is filling up pretty quickly.”

Hamel also said his biggest concern was parking. He said he has four roommates, so not everyone could park at the apartment if they each brought a car with them.

Montgomery said many people are signing up to live at the complex next year, and he expects the apartments to be filled before the opening next year.

“We keep a leasing waitlist for our entire leasing period,” he said.

“We have our temporary leasing office next to (Cosmic) Cantina, and our leasing has been taking place out of there. People have been interested a lot, and many are still taking tours. We have seen some healthy progress with our leasing.”