PTA Thrift Shop hosts grand opening

The PTA Thrift Shop opened on Monday morning with a ribbon cutting ceremony. Patrons lined up outside, eager to see the new building and the new stock.

When the PTA Thrift Shop opened the doors to its completely renovated location, it was finally prepared for throngs of devoted customers.

More than 1,000 people made their way to the thrift shop for its grand opening Monday, said cashier Amanda Sosebee.

“I used to work at the mall, and this feels like Black Friday,” Sosebee said. “For the first three hours, I didn’t look up from the register.”

The PTA Thrift Shop raises money for the Parent Teacher Associations at public schools in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Customers milled about the store checking out its expanded selection of books, clothing and furniture.

Uli Foley, a longtime supporter of the PTA Thrift Shop, said she loves the shop’s book selection.

“I used to come here when it was very small,” Foley said. “It is much bigger and brighter and cleaner.”

The store is finally up and running, but the thrift shop still has a long way to go before it pays off its new building.

The store’s capital campaign still has to raise $500,000 to pay off its reconstruction costs.

Gillian Hare, the shop’s community building campaign co-chair, said it’s difficult for the shop to balance how much money to donate to Parent Teacher Associations and how much to use toward its renovated building.

Hare said she happily gives her money to the organization because she wants it to thrive for many years.

The turnout at Monday’s grand opening ceremony illustrated the shop’s importance to the community, Hare said.

“We know there’s a great following, so this is just lovely,” she said.

The bottom floor of the renovated building is completely dedicated to the shop’s sorting and inventory intake needs.

Sosebee said having the extra space to sort inventory means the shop’s main floor is easier for customers to navigate.

Edward Kamya and Becca June attended the shop’s grand opening together, and they were also pleased with the shop’s renovations.

“It is well organized,” Kamya said. “I’m glad they did it.”