CATS members sew a passion for crafting

1-13 Yarnbombing Feature - A tree next to Lenoir Dining Hall was covered in yarn by unknown persons.

Some students miss home when they come to college, but members of the Carolina Craft and Tea Society are sewing their own identities and bringing a little domestic character to UNC.

The Carolina Craft and Tea Society, or CATS, was started four years ago and received official recognition from the University in the fall.

“We’re trying to give the organization some more structure this year and organize more activities and events outside of our weekly meetings,” CATS President Renee Hayter said in an email.

Hayter said the club has about eight regular members, and they have weekly meetings at Caribou Coffee on Franklin Street.

“We sit and chat for an hour or two while we work, and it’s a great time to meet people with similar interests and take a break from studying,” Hayter said.

Senior Gayatri Surendranathan, a longtime member of CATS, said she discovered the group through a flyer in her freshman dorm.

“I love crafting, and the idea of crocheting at a coffee shop with like-minded people appealed to me,” she said.

On Sunday, the group completed its first major project — the “yarn bombing” of a campus tree.

Hayter said the project has received mixed reactions.

“We definitely got a few funny looks while we were sewing it onto the tree,” she said in an email.

“But when I walked through the Pit on Monday, it was nice to see people admiring it.”

Junior Dalia Kaakour said though she was confused at first, she now knows what CATS stands for.

“I would totally think it stood for crazy cat ladies knitting,” she said. “It seems cool though — I would join if I had the time.”

Surendranathan said CATS has gone through extensive changes since her first meeting.

“It has evolved from a group of friends crafting together at Caribou Coffee to an official UNC organization with a structure and constitution,” said Surendranathan.

Vice-president Megan Fullarton said she has been interested in sewing and knitting since she was young.

“Making a hat or a pair of mittens is relaxing, and it makes me feel more productive than just watching a show on Netflix,” Fullarton said.

Surendranathan said her favorite thing about CATS is that every member attends meetings because they truly want to, not because they want to buff out a resume.

“Everyone’s passion for their craft is evident.”