Chapel Hill mom works with her children on sticker book

Alyssa Minshall, company founder, and Michelle Temple, project manager, explain the children-focussed mission of Sticker Farm.Alyssa Minshall, company founder, and Michelle Temple, project manager, explain the children-focussed mission of Sticker Farm. The company creates unique collectable stickers and sticker books for kids.

Chapel Hill mom Alyssa Minshall was disappointed with the children’s toys already on the market ­­— so with help from her own kids, she created a new one.

Minshall founded Sticker Farm in 2010 after looking for a sticker album for her daughter — and disliking the products she found.

To her, they felt overly commercialized, disposable and nothing like the memory-filled sticker books of her own childhood.

Wanting a wholesome and lasting toy for her children, Minshall decided to publish her own sticker book — an illustrated album for collecting stickers.

Minshall worked with her two children, then ages 2 and 4, to develop ideas for the book’s illustrations. They appear on its pages, along with their two dogs.

She told her children they could do whatever they wanted in the book.

Her daughter Charlie feeds a unicorn while her son Indie hangs out with his best friend Max, a real-life cow who lives at the Museum of Life and Science in Durham.

“I think one of the ways of having a successful business is actually knowing and understanding your demographics,” said Minshall, who bounced her ideas off her children — and allowed their own ideas to be included.

“With kids, you kind of figure out what’s freaky, what’s funny, and then you kind of get that perfect balance,” she said.

As word spread and the idea gathered attention from local parents, what started as an activity between Minshall and her kids turned into a full-fledged business that has published eight sticker collection books and several packs of puffy, reusable stickers.

Sticker Farm has customers in countries including Australia, England and Saudi Arabia. Products are sold online as well as in smaller stores across the country and a book chain in Brazil.

“It’s so much fun being creative,” said Minshall, who turns the ideas into sketches. From there, she looks for young, emerging artists to create illustrations.

One of her goals is to expose the kids to unique art styles. The first illustrator was accomplished in the Kawaii art style.

Michelle Temple, Minshall’s friend of 14 years, joined the company in 2012 and is now project manager.

“It’s been a lot of fun, because I love what she’s doing so much,” said Temple. “It’s just natural and makes sense. It’s been a lot of fun working with her.”

Both plan to represent Sticker Farm this February at the American International Toy Fair in New York City, which gives entrepreneurs a chance to show their products to potential corporate buyers, according to a press release from Sticker Farm. The two look forward to pitching Sticker Farm’s products to companies like Wal-Mart.