Former trustee chosen to lead human resources

Human resources is getting a new leader — and a new chain of command.

Chancellor Carol Folt made yet another administrative hire Tuesday and announced former Board of Trustees member and UNC alumna Felicia Washington will fill the vice chancellor for human resources position left vacant by Brenda Malone this fall.

Washington has worked in Charlotte as an attorney for more than 20 years, working on employment and discrimination issues, and has been a partner at the international law firm K&L Gates LLP for the past 15 years.

In a campus-wide email, Folt said when Washington begins on Feb. 1, the human resources department, Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disability Act Office and the Office of Multicultural and Diversity Affairs will all report to her.

Folt said with this change, Washington will have a new title — the vice chancellor for workforce strategy, equity and engagement.

She said combining the offices would provide more support for UNC employees and increase collaboration across campus.

Washington is the third person Folt has hired this academic year who has ties to the University. Vice Chancellor for Development David Routh and Vice Chancellor for Communications and Public Affairs Joel Curran also attended UNC for their undergraduate degree.

“Felicia brings an impressive record of professional expertise, experience with Carolina, and strong personal leadership skills to this important campus-wide position,” Folt said in the email.

An associate vice chancellor will be hired to report directly to Washington, Folt said, adding that Jayne Grandes will be remain the interim director for the EO/ADA office until the position is filled permanently.

Grandes said in an interview last week that the search for her position has not yet begun.

Lowry Caudill, the chairman of the Board of Trustees, said in an email that the board members were delighted to approve Washington.

He said many of them served with her on the board before she stepped down last spring.

“She is a true professional, loves our University and is the right person at the right time for this position.”