No perfect fit for student body president

Many people have a vision of what they believe a perfect leader to be — charismatic, organized and maybe even good looking. But former Student Body President Will Leimenstoll reminds us that there is no cookie-cutter formula for being a leader.

“You should know my musings don’t constitute what makes an ‘ideal SBP.’ I certainly wasn’t that, I can only speak to what I thought worked well for me … Every SBP is different and that’s good because the University and the issues it faces change every year.”

With the 2014 Student Body President election fast approaching, Leimenstoll’s experiences provide valuable insight on a few of the key attributes needed to fill the biggest student-executive role on campus.

Critics often suggest that the election is little more than an overdone popularity contest fueled by big egos and a yearning to expand a resume. But few should scoff at the power and importance of this ex officio member of the Board of Trustees.

“Regardless of whether you view the race itself as a popularity contest, the job itself is no joke. In many meetings where important decisions were made, I was looked to as the sole representative of all student voices.”

It is for this very reason that the student body at large needs to elect a candidate it can trust — a candidate that will stay true to the platform on which they are elected, a candidate that will put the interests of the student body first.

It became clear from talking with Leimenstoll that one of the most important aspects of an effective SBP is “an ability to connect with people from all different backgrounds.”

“If you don’t genuinely enjoy connecting with and talking with people, I think it would be a tough job to do.”

This theme ran constant throughout the interview. Working well with people doesn’t always mean agreeing. Sometimes it’s just about respect.

“If the SBP and administrators don’t get along, it would be relatively easy for administrators to slow or ignore the SBP’s efforts. This doesn’t mean you should be a yes man/woman: having a good relationship with University leaders also helped when I disagreed on difficult issues.”

However, the need to work effectively with others sees its origins long before any BOT meeting. Every candidate’s campaign is only as successful as the team behind it. This reliance on a team does not disappear on election night. Therefore, it is imperative that each candidate surrounds themself with people that share their passions for the University. No term will see progress if the SBP mans the helm alone.

“If I had not had such an incredible team I couldn’t have accomplished as much for students … I think an ability to work with and manage people is key to any leadership position.”

For many, senior year is a time to lessen the workload and savor the remainder of their time here — but any unfortunate all-nighters in the Undergraduate Library can’t hold a candle to the workload that SBP will be faced with. Student Body Presidents have just one year to make a difference.

If any progress is to become a reality, it is clear that the student body must elect a candidate that not only has potential, but also can see the potential in others.

Trey Bright is a member of the editorial board.