Chapel Hill Town Council to review Obey Creek

After years of back-and-forth, the future of the proposed Obey Creek development ­— which could bring a big-box retailer like Target to Chapel Hill — hinges on the Town Council’s meeting tonight.

At the meeting, the council will discuss the Obey Creek Compass Committee’s final recommendations. Obey Creek is a proposed mixed-use development that would be constructed across from Southern Village over U.S. 15-501. Discussion about development at the site began as early as 2010.

The current development proposal includes a residential and retail space and a hotel.

In June, the Town Council approved the formation of the Compass Committee. The committee’s goal was to examine the development proposal and make recommendations to maintain the economic potential of Obey Creek while satisfying Southern Village residents’ vision for a human-scale, walkable, environmentally-sound development.

The report calls for higher density and smaller buildings within the development to promote walkability, as well as a plan to minimize traffic and consideration of environmental impact. It also requested more economic and traffic data from the developer.

The primary aim of Monday’s discussion will be to decide how to move forward — including possibly requesting a revised Obey Creek plan from the developer.

“The committee has worked very hard to come to some consensus,” said council member Maria Palmer. “I think if the developer has common sense, he’s going to take seriously these recommendations and try to come up with something that aligns with this hard-won community vision.”

One of the Compass Committee’s primary concerns was that not enough information was available to the public in these early stages of the development agreement process, which made it difficult to approve the development plan.

John Newall, a Chapel Hill resident and president of the Durham-based advertising agency McKinney, said he supports the Compass Committee’s recommendations.

“To have 17 members of such a diverse committee express unanimous support for a body of work is an amazing achievement,” Newall said in an email. “It would be a travesty for it to be set aside in order to fast-track this process.”

He also said he thinks the developer should have originally provided data such as building heights, number of parking spaces and potential traffic increases to the committee.

Susan Lindsay, a member of the now-dissolved committee, said she hopes the developer will consider reducing building sizes to avoid a traffic impact that would hurt the area.

“The concern is that there’s so much jammed in there it would create a ton of traffic,” she said. “It would degrade the quality of life in the area. There’s plenty of room for people to get their needs met — the town, the developer and the Southern Village area.”