Time Warner Cable and Comcast merger is cause for concern

Comcast entered into an agreement this month to acquire Time Warner Cable for about $45 billion, leaving some concerned that the media market is becoming an increasingly monopolized field.

Comcast said in a press release issued Feb. 13 that it intends to net at least 8 million of Time Warner’s 11 million customers and gain all of its 284.9 million shares, pending approval by regulatory committees.

Scott Pryzwansky, spokesman for Time Warner Cable, said in an email that Time Warner Cable’s customers will benefit from the deal.

Time Warner Cable is one of the main cable companies in the Chapel Hill area, and many students off-campus are customers. Comcast currently doesn’t offer service in the area.

Pryzwansky said added features would include faster internet, expanded TV Everywhere and programs offered by Comcast, such as X1 Entertainment Operating System and more than 300,000 streaming choices on XfinityTV.com.

“Through the course of the merger this year, we will proactively communicate to our customers about any changes in their services and our offerings,” he said.

On-campus students will not be affected — UNC doesn’t use Time Warner Cable.

Pryzwansky said the majority of Time Warner’s more than 6,000 N.C. employees will not feel the effects of the acquisition.

But Andrew Chin, UNC law professor, said in an email that he is uncertain the deal will be approved by regulators, and there is no guarantee that customers would see benefits from the transaction.

“There is no reason to believe it will lead to improvements in customer service, since it will not create or enhance competition to provide customer service,” Chin said. “A bigger Comcast may be able to negotiate lower costs for itself with content providers, but will have no incentive to pass on the savings to consumers.”

Steve Sinclair, a senior at the business school who is also pursuing a minor in computer science, said limiting the already narrow market of internet and cable providers will not result in benefits for customers.

Sinclair said big companies such as Comcast would have little incentive to produce more consumer benefits because it would be the only major provider in some areas.

“What is more likely to happen is rates are going to go up or service will continue to be crawling along,” he said.

UNC senior Maggie Conner said she had canceled her Time Warner Cable subscription because of hidden fees and poor customer service.

“It’s really annoying because I work and I go to school and I don’t have time to deal with my cable,” she said.