UNC alumna named U.S. ambassador to Bahamas

UNC alumna Cassandra Butts is headed to the Bahamas, but not for a vacation — she was nominated by President Barack Obama Friday as the new U.S. ambassador to the nation.

In her new position, Butts will handle a variety of diplomatic topics, including political, economic, military and cultural issues. She currently serves as the president-appointed senior adviser to the CEO of Millennium Challenge Corporation, an independent U.S. foreign aid agency that aims to end international poverty.

In 1987, Butts received a bachelor’s degree in political science from UNC. She went on to get a law degree from Harvard Law School.

She now serves as a member of the UNC Board of Visitors, which is a group of alumni who volunteer and assist the Board of Trustees and the chancellor in areas like government relations, funding and public relations.

Butts serves on the student recruitment and state relations committee. Her term ends in 2017, but she doesn’t have to be present in Chapel Hill to fulfill her duties.

“If she shows the same commitment that she shows in serving the students, I couldn’t see her continuing to do anything but excellent things in the Bahamas,” said Michael Zollicoffer, Board of Visitors chairman.

UNC junior Jordan Archer, who grew up in the Bahamas, said the politics and economics of the country are similar to those in the United States, though the Caribbean island chain is a prime location for international drug trafficking due to its close proximity to the U.S.

“As far as issues went, drug smuggling is the biggest issue. Because of its location in relation to Miami, it makes for a good ‘harbor’ for smuggling drugs from one country to the next,” Archer said.

“Our American embassy is doing a great job there, and I don’t think there are any big issues pressing them at this time.”

Butts previously worked as the deputy White House counsel to Obama and general counsel to the Obama-Biden Transition Project. Prior to that, she served as senior vice president for domestic policy at the Center for American Progress.

When Obama appointed Butts to her current position at the Millennium Challenge Corporation in 2009, he referred to her as a dear friend and trusted colleague.

“She goes above and beyond in what she does. She has this desire to give back, and that’s hard to put a price on,” Zollicoffer said. “It’s second to none.”

Zollicoffer said Butts’ hard work shows in what she has accomplished, and Archer said he knows she will do an excellent job for his country.

“We’re everywhere,” Archer said. “It’s great to know that a Tar Heel will be there.”