UNC women's basketball can’t match No. 2 Notre Dame

The temperature was in single digits outside Purcell Pavilion Thursday, but the No. 14 North Carolina women’s basketball felt the warmth of No. 2 Notre Dame’s hot shooting as the Tar Heels fell 100-75.

The undefeated Fighting Irish (28-0, 15-0 ACC) played intensely from the opening-tip with Kayla McBride taking the ball to the hoop with her right hand and executing a layup only 20 seconds in.

McBride’s layup was the start of a 10-2 run fueled by four UNC turnovers that forced associate head coach Andrew Calder to burn a timeout barely two minutes into the game.

Calder said the Fighting Irish’s ACC-best scoring defense troubled the team from the beginning — forcing UNC to revert to other options throughout the night.

“They understood exactly what we were trying to accomplish in each play — first option, second option,” Calder said. “We were having to go to third and fourth options in some of those plays that we haven’t been tending to do that. They took us out of what we were trying to do.”

UNC (21-8, 9-6 ACC) came out of the timeout seemingly unperturbed after the fast-paced opening and cut the Fighting Irish’s lead down to 20-15, but this was as close as the team would get the rest of the night.

The Fighting Irish would proceed to cut the UNC defense up with surgical finesse — slipping off screens, using backdoor cuts and an astonishing 60.6 field-goal percentage to procure a 55-38 lead at the half.

Sophomore forward Xylina McDaniel said adjusting to Notre Dame’s offensive approach was an arduous task, and the team’s inability to do so was critical to the outcome.

“They come out there and screen so fast — that’s just hard to guard,” McDaniel said. “It’s so slow, but sometimes we kind of ball-watch, which messes us up on the help-side (defense). It’s the little things that make it difficult, but bring the difference into the game. And that was the difference.”

McDaniel attempted to be the difference maker in the opening minutes of the second half — scoring five of the Tar Heels eight straight points. Her effort proved to be unfruitful as the sharp-shooting McBride and Natalie Achonwa would continue to build on their successful evenings.

The two seniors, who have appeared in three straight Final Fours, finished the night with a combined 52 points. Their experience was unmatched by the young Tar Heels.

Freshman forward Stephanie Mavunga said the loss will hopefully be something the young team can use as motivation going forward.

“I think as freshmen we just got to take this as a hard-fought loss and as a learning lesson,” Mavunga said. “And just get back on the court tomorrow, work hard and never let it happen again.”