Music Review: Rogue Band of Youth

Carrboro act Rogue Band of Youth has a front porch charm that propels its self-titled album. Upon first impression, this could be just another folk rock album, but the band’s weathered sincerity makes for a good debut.

Simple but soulful, Rogue Band of Youth combines a Southern twang with a rush of strings resulting in its hearty sound. The vocals are soothing and never break a shout. The three-part harmonies are masterful and the emotion is engaging. Rogue Band of Youth doesn’t do anything new, but the band does it well.

The record starts with the lighthearted “Fair Shake” and fiery “The West in My Eyes.” The songs, two of the record’s best, immediately throw you into the jamboree.

Where the album truly flourishes is when the instrumentals and the passion behind the vocals perfectly intersect. This is clearly demonstrated by the melancholy “Smoke Screens,” a whispering ballad, and the steadily climbing “Our Hunter.” As the final song, “Our Hunter” brings home the record with a toe-tapping uproar.

Each song rolls in and out of one another seamlessly. In 30 minutes, Rogue Band of Youth takes you through effortless joy to pounding intensity to tender heartache and back again. The execution of this emotional journey is successful and, by the end of the album, you are left with a strong sense of closure.

There isn’t necessarily anything bad to say about this album, but it never quite hits the outstanding mark. The mark it does hit, however, is cranking out solid folk rock tunes that leave a decent impression.