Letter: ?Campus walking surfaces need work

On April 13, I tripped walking to campus. I fractured my hip. The accident occurred when walking up the brick sidewalk beyond Carmichael Residence Hall. I tripped on an uneven brick, landing on my left elbow and hip. In excruciating pain, I yelled out to the group gathering around me, “Don’t touch me! I broke my hip! Call an ambulance and the campus police!”

One student took charge of the situation. He bent down toward my sprawled out body and stayed with me until the police arrived. He related my pertinent information to the UNC Hospitals emergency room receptionist and to the campus transportation department into his Facebook. The campus policeman posted a note on my car window: “DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE.”

When the ambulance arrived, the medics lifted me up with a heavy pad, buckled my left leg securely and transferred me to a stretcher for a slow drive to the UNC emergency room.

Now I am recuperating from a fractured hip and have plenty to be thankful for. It could have been worse. I remain grateful for all who waited patiently for the ambulance and apologize for occupying an unknown person’s parking space for four days.

During my hospitalization, a few of the physical therapists agreed with me! Brick sidewalks are attractive but need vigilant upkeep. The therapists, once UNC students, remembered falling several times along that extensive sidewalk. More attention to improve the walking surfaces in that particular area is needed.

Honre F. Gitelman

M.ED. ’72

Reading education