UNC ace Trent Thornton seals 4-3 win over NC State

Trent Thornton delivers the ball. The Tar Heels used five pitchers to defeat NC State.

The North Carolina baseball team was in a jam on Tuesday against N.C. State in its ACC tournament play-in game.

And like he did time and time again last season, sophomore Trent Thornton came in and shut the door to obtain the save in the Tar Heels’ 4-3 win over the Wolfpack at NewBridge Bank Park.

The Tar Heels had fallen behind 1-0 in the first, but a solo shot to right center by sophomore Skye Bolt in the second inning and a three-run third inning made the way for Thornton to make an appearance out of the bullpen.

“That big inning helped us there where we were able to put three on the board and get the lead,” coach Mike Fox said. “That’s important, especially knowing we got Trent down there to finish the game. We hoped that would work out that we would be able to bring him in the game with the lead.”

Up by a run in the eighth inning, reliever Spencer Trayner surrendered a leadoff walk that was followed by a fielding and throwing error by shortstop Michael Russell on a groundball off the bat of Carlos Rodon.

With runners on second and third and no one out, pitching coach Scott Forbes waltzed to the pitching mound and nodded in the direction of the bullpen down the left field line — signaling for Thornton.

No. 31 emerged from the bullpen and began his jog to the pitcher’s mound. It was the first time since Game 3 of last year’s super regional series against South Carolina that the right-hander came in as a reliever.

Thornton’s late-inning relief appearance was triggered by Monday’s announcement that this season’s closer, Reilly Hovis, would serve as the team’s starter for Tuesday’s game.

“We had to sort of pitch backwards today with starting Reilly and with Trent,” Fox said.

Thornton toed the rubber, in the stretch position with his head tilted down and his white cap casting a shadow over his face. After falling behind, he worked his way back to a full count and struck out the batter on a breaking ball in the dirt for out No. 1.

The righty followed up by blowing a fastball past pinch hitter Jake Armstrong for his second strikeout in an eight-pitch at-bat. And after intentionally walking leadoff man Trea Turner to load the bases, Thornton got a fly out to center to end the scoring threat.

In unison with the final out of the inning, Thornton walked off the mound and toward the dugout — yelling into his glove. The UNC ace said he relished the opportunity of being called upon in the high-stakes situation.

“That was what I wanted,” Thornton said. “I told coach Forbes after the game I missed that adrenaline. I was really prepared for that time of the game.”

Thornton returned to the hill in the top of the ninth inning and retired the Wolpack in order with five quick pitches to seal the victory for the Tar Heels and advance them into pool play.

State's coach Elliot Avent said he expected to see Thornton close things out for UNC.

“He’s a great pitcher, he’s their ace and they wanted to win this game, just like we did,” Avent said. “And they put their guy out there in the 8th and 9th.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.